Sunday, January 8, 2012

Reflections on 1/6/2012 class

This is going to be extremely interesting. I am really excited about learning with all of you and working on the projects Kristin has assigned for us. I like the small class size and the opportunity for us to benefit from each other's varied experiences and backgrounds. It will be especially beneficial for all of us to hear about the experiences of our classmates who are student teaching this semester. I look most forward to what they have to say about their day-to-day interactions with their mentor librarians, students, teachers and administrators. I'd also like to know how they feel about working with different age groups.

My biggest concern about the profession of school librarianship is its continued existence. In considering last week's readings and listening to Kristin's lecture (w/more to come on NCLB this week) I feel that maybe the golden days of school libraries are over. It is up to those now in the profession (and us) to fight for it's continued existence by making it a relevant, beneficial and integral part of the school through our collaborative and advocacy efforts and by garnering support from administrators, teachers and parents.

Get ready to put on your happy face:)
Long live the Media Center!

1 comment:

  1. I believe that the era of mediocre school libraries is over. But I do not believe that the future of LIBRARIANSHIP in schools is over. We just need to do a LOT of advocacy work to get us there. I was very inspired by the Michigan Board of Education's response to the 2010 ALA/NCATE Standards this week. They got what we COULD be. Now let's work locally to make sure administrators know what a good librarian looks like.

    Oh, and yes. I did put on my happy face when I was there. :)

    ReplyDelete